Air Cleaner Filters
Air filters are used to remove suspended particulate matter from air used in Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC) appliances. Indoor air pollutants are considered to be common health risks. The best way to protect oneself from the health problems associated with these pollutants is to ensure that the home is adequately ventilated with clean air from outdoors. However it is not always possible to do this because of weather changes. Sometimes there may also be high levels of contaminants in the outside air.
In such cases, an air cleaner filter comes very handy. These devices help to remove pollutants present in the air. Some devices may be installed within the air conditioning, heating or ventilating system of a house. There are also portable devices which can be used to clean air in a specific room or area of the house.
Why is air filtration important?
- HVAC appliances have a wet coil that is part of the appliance, if this part is exposed to some material that is suspended in the air, like mold spores, then mold might grow inside the appliance.
- For allergy sufferers, many of the allergens that cause the problem are found suspended in the unfiltered air. Filtering them out of the air will improve allergy symptoms and decrease the need for allergy medication and homeopathic treatment. Research has shown that most asthma sufferers do not benefit much from simple measures like dust mite proof bed covers, because of the burden of dust mite in the whole house environment. That is why using air filters for the whole ventilation of the indoor environment has a great impact on quality of life for people who suffer similar conditions.
Benefits of Air Filters
Air filters are used in HVAC units (which are primarily concerned with the temperature of the air) to improve indoor air quality, which is beneficial to health in general but especially significant for allergy sufferers . They can also be added to vacuum cleaners to filter the exhaust of the device and can be used in furnaces to prevent burning products like ash from contaminating the indoor environment. There are several benefits and uses of air cleaner filters. The main benefit of these devices is that they make available cleaner air for breathing. A good quality filter can get rid of about 90 percent of pollutants. This helps to make indoor air free of bacteria, viruses, fungi and molds. This is beneficial for those who suffer from allergic reactions to these irritants. Individuals with asthma are also able to control and prevent attacks in this manner. Air cleaners also help to remove unwanted and unpleasant aromas and odors from the house. They can even be used in the kitchen in order to eliminate odors that can contaminate the food. Filters are also greatly beneficial in improving the sleeping environment. By keeping the air in the bedroom clean and pollution-free it helps to induce better sleep.
Types of Air Filters
The exact mechanism of filtration differs with the type, but most commonly involves physically blocking the suspended matter while allowing the clean air through. Some types of air filters:
- Pleated paper: Paper that is folded over in different configurations, it will allow air through but the large dust and other particles get trapped in the paper.
- HEPA filters: Used in settings where highly clean or sterile air is desired. It helps to keep out dust and other allergens. These systems are known to be highly efficient in removing air borne pollutants and germs.
- Electronic filters: The quality of the separation of the particles from air is supervised electronically.
- Electrostatic filters: The particles are charged with electricity as they pass through the filter making it possible to attract them out of the air.
- Glass fiber: They can be woven into intricate patterns, they are durable and inexpensive.
- Ultraviolet filters: The Ultraviolet or UV air filter makes use of UV light to sterilize or destroy bacteria and other germs. These devices are usually attached to the home’s cooling or heating system. These filters are considered to be beneficial in restricting the harmful effects of pollutants and allergens.
- Ionic Air Purifier: It emits negatively charged ions in order to balance the ionic charge of the air. Before buying an air cleaner filter for your home, it is advisable to do some research on the various types of devices available. The device should be suited to your requirements.