Wheat Grass Calorie Information And Health BenefitsWhat is wheatgrass? Wheatgrass is essentially the young wheat plant. It is one of the modern world’s super foods, and is considered to be most nutritious when it is 1 or 2 weeks old. It is cut, and the juice is extracted. The juice can be drunk directly, or mixed as a smoothie with some other juices, to make it more palatable.
It is also available in powder form, frozen or as pills.
Properties Of Wheat Grass The properties of wheat grass: Wheat grass is rich in all the vitamins, amino acids and vitamins which are necessary for our growth and health. It also has ample quantities of enzymes, protein and chlorophyll, making it a complete food. 70% of its quantity is made up of chlorophyll.
A teaspoon of wheat grass juice contains around 870 mcg of iron, 62 mcg of zinc, 8mcg of iodine, 3.5 mcg of selenium and15 mg of calcium, besides other minerals.
Wheat grass juice has no fat or cholesterol. A teaspoon of wheat grass juice contains nearly one gram of protein, and only 10 to 15 calories.
Health benefits of wheat grass:
How to take wheat grass juice and how much: About 30 ml of fresh wheat grass juice is sufficient to start with. It is best to take it on an empty stomach in the morning. This will allow it to be assimilated in the blood in 20 minutes. You can follow it with a glass of water, or mix it with other juices if it makes you nauseous.
- Because of its high chlorophyll content, it helps in the formation of red blood cells in the body. The chlorophyll in wheat grass is very similar to hemoglobin, and doctors and nutritionists have often referred to it as ‘green blood’.
- The chlorophyll also helps to lower sugar levels in the blood.
- Wheat grass helps the body to fight infections, heal wounds quickly, and also to lower high blood pressure.
- Wheat grass is rich in enzymes, which helps in digestion, cures constipation, removes heavy metals from the body, and improves liver function.
- The high levels of antioxidants are useful in warding off or fighting cancer.
- The high levels of enzymes and antioxidants are helpful in delaying the ageing process and providing extra energy.
- The vitamins and minerals present in wheat grass improve the skin and give it a radiant glow. It is also good for hair, making it strong and lustrous, and preventing graying. It has been effective in treating skin disorders like psoriasis and eczema.
- The high levels of zinc and magnesium help stabilize the sex hormones, and also provides relief from vaginal infections.
- Wheat grass helps remove toxins from the body, leading to more energy of the body and mind. This also helps in weight reduction.
- It also prevents tooth decay