Easy Molasses Angel Food Cake Recipe
- No. of Servings: 12 servings
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Half a cup of granulated sugar
- Quarter cup of fat free half and half
- One lightly beaten egg
- Three tablespoons of margarine or light butter
- Two tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Half a teaspoon of finely grated lemon peel
- One cup of sifted cake flour
- Half a cup of brown sugar
- One teaspoon of ground ginger
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- Eleven egg whites
- A quarter cup of molasses
- A teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A teaspoon of cream of tarter
- To prepare the lemon sauce, take a medium sized saucepan and mix together, the lightly beaten egg, fat free half and half and the sugar. Place the pan over a medium to low fire and heat the ingredients till the sugar has dissolved completely, while stirring continuously.
- Add the lemon juice and butter and continue to heat the ingredients, again while constantly stirring.
- Once the mixture is thick enough, so as to coat a spoon, add the finely grated lemon rind.
- Mix well and keep the sauce aside.
- Preheat the oven to about 350° F
- Sift together, the flour, brown sugar, well ground ginger and salt.
- Beat the eggs white well, till they are frothy, after which, add the cream of tarter. Continue to beat the eggs till you notice soft peaks forming.
- Now add the sugar, while continuously beating the mixture. Do not add all the sugar at one time, but rather do it a teaspoon at a time.
- Add the molasses, again while constantly beating the eggs.
- Add the flour mixture and the vanilla extract.
- Pour the thick batter into a tube pan and then bake for 35-40 minutes as 350° F.
- Serve with chilled lemon sauce.
(Amounts per serving)
| PROTEIN |
| FAT(total) ||SODIUM|
| 237 cal || 5.5 g || 49 g|| 2.5 g|| 218 mg|
This delicious dessert is not just about the taste, but it has a lot of nutritional value too.