Healthy Diet Plans >>
Diet Profile >>
Facts About Edema
Severe Edema And Edema Swelling TreatmentEdema, also known as Odema, is a name adopted today for the disease dropsy or hydropsy. It defines the accumulation of fluid beneath the skin or in any cavity of the body due to any abnormality. It mostly occurs in the legs, ankles, and the feet, but any part of the body can be affected by it.
Different types of edema. Similar to diseases such as cancer, edema can also be caused due to some specific organs. Some of them are listed below:
The accumulation of the extracellular fluid causes cerebral edema.
Its symptoms are drowsiness or reduced consciousness as it happens due to the systemic lupus or abnormal or toxic metabolic conditions.
If the failure happens to the left ventricle of the heart, the pulmonary veins cause the blood removal due to obstruction, so that the pressure in the lungs’ blood vessels is increased. This condition is referred to as Pulmonary edema. Its symptoms are seen as the shortening of the breath. The inhalation of toxic chemicals, either intentionally or unintentionally, causes pulmonary edema.
The accumulation of the fluid in the pleural cavity causes Pleural effusions edema.
Cutaneous edema is an allergy like disease that can be seen in mosquito bites, and bee stings. Coming into contact with plants such as Poison Ivy or Western Poison Oak can also cause this form of edema.
Factors, Causes And Diet For EdemaThe reasons or factors of the edema disease are:
- The fluid homeostasis controls the balancing of interstitial fluid and any abnormality in this fluid causes increased and faulty secretion of fluid in the interstitium, causing edema. The removal or partial removal of this fluid may also become a cause of edema.
- A high hydrostatic pressure in blood vessels may become a cause of edema.
- Edema may occur due to the fluctuating and minimized oncotic pressure in blood vessels
- If inflammation occurs in blood vessels and increases their wall permeability, then edema occurs.
- If the body tissues lose their water retaining property, edema happens.
- Edema results if the lymphatic system causes an obstruction in fluid clearance.
- If the kidneys retain more amounts of water and sodium than normal, then it causes the hydrostatic pressure to rise and the person suffers from edema.
- Edema is observed in people who eat salt in larger amounts.
- Sunburn may also cause edema.
- It can also happen due to cirrhosis which causes liver problems and diseases.
- It can be observed during pregnancy in women.
- It also occurs in people who are in the habit of standing or walking even in hot weather.
The dietary plan can play an important role in the cure and prevention of edema disease. Some of the dietary precautions to follow are:
- Foods having food additive like Potassium Hydrogen Diacetate, Carbon Dioxide, Tragacanth, and Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA) may create hyperactivity of the body’ tissues fluid.
- Fatty foods including fried and grilled food should be avoided in edema.
- Sodas are strictly prohibited for edema patients.
- Edema patients should avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Water intake should be increased in people suffering from edema.
- Fresh vegetable and fruit juices have a beneficial effect on edema patients.
- Sugar or sweet dishes should not be taken in large amounts.
- Salt intake should be minimized to cure edema.
|Submitted on January 16, 2014