Apple Butter Recipe, Nutritional Value
Apple butter is known to take a fair amount of time to prepare, as it is cooked slowly for almost an hour. Although this dish is known as apple butter, there is actually no butter involved in the preparation and it gets this name simply because of the smooth and buttery texture.
- One cup of apple cider vinegar
- Approximately 4 pounds of cooking apples
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Half a teaspoon each of allspice and freshly ground cinnamon
- 3-4 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- Juice and finely grated rind of 1 lemon
Preparation time: 11 hours
Directions & serving size:
You can also try recipe for apple wood chip and prepare apple carrot blend cake
- This recipe will yield almost 3 pint jars of apple sauce.
- First, without coring or peeling the apples, cut them into quarters and then put them into a large pot along with the water and the vinegar. The pectin that results in the firming up of the sauce is present mostly in the peels and the cores.
- Cook this mixture for almost 20 minutes till the apples are soft and then take the pot off from the heat.
- Pour out this mixture into a food mill along with the cores to form a puree. Use a measuring cup, mix ½ a cup of sugar for every cup of puree and keep stirring to ensure that the sugar has dissolved.
- In the next stage, add the ground cloves, cinnamon, lemon rind, allspice and lemon juice. The quantities of these spices may be adjusted according to ones preference.
- Cook this mixture in a thick bottomed pot on a medium flame, constantly stirring till it is smooth and thick.
- The key to preserving apple butter is to ensure that it is stored in sterilized jars and before shutting the jar with the lid ensure that the rims of the jars are wiped well.
Serving instructions: Apple butter can be used on sandwiches or even as an accompaniment with pork chops or pork loins.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- Calories: 30
- Carbohydrates: 8gms
Apple butter is an excellent source of insoluble fiber which helps in maintaining good digestive system. This in turn helps in preventing against colon cancer as well as diverticular disease.
Tips and warnings:
While canning apple butter, make sure you leave half an inch space towards the top of the container so that there is space for the apple butter to expand as it freezes.