Beans and Franks Recipe, Nutritional Value
Beans and franks is a classic American dish that is extremely simple to prepare and has a relatively sweet flavour on account of the corn bread topping and the baked beans.
- 2 packages of corn bread or even muffin mix
- 1 can of baked beans
- 4 hot dogs or franks, halved lengthwise and sliced into medium sized pieces.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup each of packed brown sugar and chopped onions
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
Preparation time: 60 minutesDirections & serving size:
- This recipe will yield approximately 8 servings or 2 casseroles
- The corn bread batter should be prepared according to the instructions that come with the package when purchased and then set aside
- Take a large bowl and mix in it the hot dogs, bacon, ketchup, onion and brown sugar.
- Place this mixture into a baking dish and bake for 45 minutes at 350F.
- One way to check if the beans and franks are ready is to insert a toothpick into the center of the dish and while taking it out it should come out clean.
- Beans and franks can be served hot along with some sweet corn muffins.
- Alternatively you could also make a complete meal with beans and franks by serving it along with some steamed vegetables such as carrots and peas or even some fruit.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- Calories: 336
- Fat: 14.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 82 g
- Cholesterol: 38 mg
- Carbohydrates: 39.2
- Sodium: 1162 mg
- Baked beans and franks are known to be a good source of dietary fiber which helps against digestive disease and disorders. Beans are also known to protect against type 1 and type 2 diabetes. More on importance of beans for health
- Franks also provide the individual with proteins which are the building blocks of the human body.
Tips and warnings:
- Beans and franks can also be stored for a longer period of time is kept in the freezer. At the time of eating, it should be taken out of the freezer, allowed to thaw out and then heated in the microwave.
- If pre cooked dried beans or frozen beans are being used in this recipe, then you could add up to two cups of water and allow the ingredients to simmer for some time.
This will help soften the beans. Then mix them with the franks and bake.