Beef Stew Recipe, Nutritional Value
Depending on ingredients available and individual preferences, beef stew is prepared differently and in various combinations all over. This recipe of beef stew is the typical traditional beef stew recipe that is known to be delicious, savory, inexpensive and yet easy to prepare.
Preparation time: 2 hours
- Salt: 2 tablespoons
- Vegetable oil: 3 tablespoons
- Boneless chuck roast: 3lbs, cut into 2 inch pieces
- Yellow onions:2, cut into small chunks
- Garlic: 3 cloves, minced
- Beef broth: 3 cups
- Red wine: 1 cup
- Bay leaf:1
- Dried rosemary: ½ tsp
- Carrots: 4, peeled and chopped into thin slices
- Russet potatoes: 3
- Fresh parsley: to garnish
- Celery: 2 stalks, sliced
- Dried thyme: ½ tsp
Directions & serving size:
- This recipe will yield approximately 12 servings
- Place a large heavy pot on medium heat and add the vegetable oil to it.
- Once the oil starts smoking, add the beef and cook till it is brown. While cooking the beef you could also add the pepper and the salt.
- Thereafter take the beef off the flame and sauté the onions till they are soft.
- Once done, add the garlic paste and allow it to cook for approximately one minute. The wine should now be added which will gradually thicken as it simmers.
- After 5 minutes, add the bay leaves, thyme, broth, rosemary and the beef which should be allowed to simmer on a low flame for approximately an hour.
- Thereafter add the celery, potatoes, and carrots, and let them cook till both the vegetables and meat are tender.
- You could taste the stew to ensure that the seasoning is sufficient and then take it off the heat.
- Turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with the fresh parsley if desired.
Also try recipe for beef pot roast
- The stew may also be garnished with some freshly chopped coriander just before serving
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- Cholesterol: 79 mg
- Fat: 21.2 g
- Calories: 401
Get to know about the calories in beef
Beef is known to be a good source of iron and is hence highly recommended to be included in the diet of those suffering from anemia.
Tips and Warnings:
While cooking the beef stew, ensure that the pot is covered properly. The meat cooked thus, will be juicy, tender and flavorful.