Borscht (Borsh) Recipe, Nutritional Value
Borscht or borsh, is a beetroot soup of Russian origin. It is a dish that has also been popularized by Eastern Europe and Ukrainian cuisine. Beetroots are commonly found in the country and therefore the dish is extremely popular here. Depending on which location it comes from, the soup has many variations. The steps are for the most basic borscht.
- 4 large beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large potato peeled and chopped
- 1 pound slice of beef or lamb shank
- 8 cups of broth or water
- 2 cups sliced cabbage
- ½-3/4 cup chopped dill
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation time: 90 minutes
Directions & serving size:
- Cook the broth with the meat and onions till the meat is tender.
- Remove and trim the meat, discard the fat from the broth and cool.
- Once cooled, add vegetables including beets, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook till vegetables are soft.
- Now stir the meat and cabbage in along with the dill.
- Season and cook till the cabbage is tender.
- Stir in the vinegar.
- This recipe makes about 6 portions.
Serve the borscht in individual soup bowl, garnished with sour cream and fresh dill.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- A bowl of soup contains about 200 calories.
- The fat grams equal 2.12 grams.
- Borscht contains 11.45 grams of carbohydrates, 5.03 milligrams of cholesterol and 2392 milligrams of sodium.
- The soup is extremely nutritious.Get to know more on health benefits of beetroot
- Without the garnish of sour cream and no meat, it can be a very low calorie, low sodium soup.
- Beetroot is great for the body, especially to improve the production of blood and deal with anemia.
- Beetroots’ high content of vitamins and minerals is what lends the fantastic earthy taste to borscht.
- Beetroots make this dish even rich in antioxidants.
Tips and warnings:
- There is also a green borscht made with sorrel, but it is not as popular as tne beetroot preparation.
- Each country makes it differently and no one type is right or wrong.
- It is generally dependent on vegetables available in the region.
- Borscht is great to have in the winter season, it is warming and soothing.
- You can try topping the soup with yogurt and other items like pickles scallions or celery. You can make a lighter version of the soup for the summer too.