Breaded Fried Chicken Recipe, Nutritional Value
Breaded fried chicken is basically a dish that is made up of chicken pieces that have been battered or floured. This gives them a crisp exterior crust or coating.
- 6 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves which should be cut into half inch strips
- One cup each of buttermilk, seasoned bread crumbs and all purpose flour
- One egg, beaten
- Approximately two teaspoons of garlic powder
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- Oil for frying
Preparation time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Directions & serving size:
Serving instructions: Breaded chicken should be served fresh from the pan while the coat is still crisp and the chicken is tender. It may also be served along with any spicy or savory sauces for added flavor or may even be sprinkled with herbs. Also see recipe for chicken gumbo
- This recipe will yield approximately eight servings.
- Take the chicken strips and place them in a re-sealable, large plastic bag.
- Then mix together the buttermilk, garlic powder and egg in a small bowl. Pour this mixture into the bag with the chicken and refrigerate the bag for 4 hours.
- In a separate plastic re-sealable bag, add the bread crumbs, flour, baking powder and the salt and mix well.
- Take the bag with the chicken out of the refrigerator and mix the chicken with the flour mixture after draining the buttermilk mixture.
- Seal the flour mixture bag with the chicken and shake well till the chicken is well coated.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet and add the chicken to the pan.
- Fry the chicken till the juices run clear and it is golden brown in color.
- Once done, take the chicken out from the pan and drain on paper towels to get rid of excess oil.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- Calories: 346
- Fat: 15.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 82 g
- Chicken is known to be a good source of lean protein which is required for body development and muscle building.
More on health benefits of chicken
- Chicken is also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids which are required for maintenance of overall good health
Tips and warnings:
For those cautious about their weight, it may be advisable to pan fry the chicken, ensuring that sufficient space is left between the chicken pieces. This will ensure that the oil utilisation is lower and the chicken does not turn out to be soggy.