Cheese Fondue Recipe, Nutritional Value
Cheese fondue is essentially a Swiss dish that consists of melted ingredients, served in a clay pot. To keep the ingredients warm, the pot is placed over a burner and is then served with complimentary foods such as breads.
- 1/2 pound each of Swiss-style cheese and Gruyere cheese finely shredded
- A clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp each of cherry brandy and lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or flour
- Half a teaspoon of dry mustard
- A pinch of nutmeg, freshly grated
- A combination of dipping foods which could include cubed ham, french bread, carrots, cherry tomatoes, chopped pears or apples and bread.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Directions & serving size:
You can also try recipe for muffin cream cheese
- The given ingredients will yield a salad sufficient for 4
- Take the cornstarch and the shred cheese, mix them together and place them in a plastic freezer bag
- Then take the garlic clove and rub the inside of a pot with this garlic. Add the lemon juice and wine to this pot and allow it to simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Next, slowly add the grated cheese and cornstarch mixture to this simmering wine and keep stirring the mixture constantly to ensure that the cheese does not get lumpy.
- Keep cooking this mixture till you get a smooth and creamy texture once the cheese has melted completely.
- Add the nutmeg and mustard to this creamy mixture and mix well
- While still hot, transfer the fondue into a fondue serving pot which will typically have a low flame below to make sure it stays warm and smooth.
Serving instructions: Arrange the dipping foods alongside the fondue pot and using a fork or a thin stick spear these dipping foods and dip them into the warm fondue and consume.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- Sodium: 132mg
- Calories: 229
- Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
Cheese fondue is a relatively fattening dish and hence should not be consumed on a regular basis. However, one of the ways to increase the nutritional content of cheese fondue is to provide more fruits as dipping foods.
Fruits are known to be rich in various minerals and vitamins that are required for the maintenance of overall good health.
Tips and warnings:
While preparing fondue you may create various type of fondue by adding different spices and even make a fondue dessert by adding chocolate.