Chicken and Dumplings Recipe, Nutritional Value
Chicken and dumplings is a comfort food that is often used during colds. While it has no curative properties, the heartiness of the meal makes a difference. This dish consists of a soup with vegetables and dumplings made from flour and chicken. The blandness of the dish also makes it popular as food had during illness. It is a very simple dish to put together.
Preparation time: 1 hour
- 1 ½ pounds of boneless chicken, cut into small cubes
- 2/3 cup + 1 ½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 large carrots and celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoon readymade seasoning
- 2 14-ounce cans of stock or water
- 1 cup (additional) water
- 1 cup peas
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions & Serving Size:
- Mix some flour to coat the chicken and cook it on the stove top till lightly browned.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add additional oil, seasoning and vegetables.
Cook till the vegetables have softened.
- Add some more flour into this mix of chicken and vegetables.
- Mix some flour, baking soda, salt, seasoning and buttermilk to make the dough for dumplings.
- Drop this dough, with tablespoons, into simmering chicken and vegetable soup.
- Cook this on a gentle heat for about 15 minutes, to ensure that dumplings are cooked.
- This portion makes about 6 servings of chicken and dumpling soup
You can also prepare chicken gumbo
This soup is served straight up in individual bowls, with about three dumplings in each bowl.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- Per serving this soup contains about 465 calories
- It contains 15 grams of fat, which include 3 grams of saturated fat and 7 grams of monounsaturated fat.
- This soup contains 45 grams of carbohydrates and 34 grams of protein.
- The fiber content is 6 grams while cholesterol is 91 milligrams.
- It also contains 629 milligrams of sodium and 412 milligrams of potassium.
- This dish contains many essential minerals like selenium, iron, vitamin A and vitamin C.
- Its low fat content makes it favorable with weight watchers. Also see nutrition benefits of chicken
Tips and warnings:
Using chicken in this recipe with very little oil makes it a healthy cross between a soup and stew. The dumplings are also very filling. To reduce its carbohydrate content, you could skip the dumplings and add more vegetables. You should also use low-sodium stock or water in place of regular stock to reduce the sodium content.