Chicken Chili Recipe, Nutritional Value
Chicken chili is a hearty dish made with spices, beans, vegetables and meat. It can also be categorized as a spicy stew. Chicken chili is also known as just chili or chili con carne. Chili is originally a Spanish dish and has seen many variations due to local adaptations. Beef is also often the meat added to this dish but chicken chili is considered a lighter and healthier alternative.
- 4 chicken breasts or shredded chicken (an equal amount)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 peppers – banana or bell – diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 16-ounce cans of beans, cannellini or pinto
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 2 red onions, chopped
- Lime or lemon juice to taste
- Shredded cheese of your choice
- Salt to taste
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Directions & serving size:
- Cook or brown the chicken after seasoning it.
- Once the chicken is browned, remove it and chop it up, if you are using chicken breasts.
Then let the chicken cool.
- To the same pot, add minced peppers. Discard the seed of peppers if you do not like the food to be very spicy.
- Add the chopped peppers, minced garlic, and other chopped vegetables. You could create a rough hewn salsa of the vegetables and peppers before cooking them.
- Cook these vegetables till they soften.
- Add the beans, without draining them to this vegetable mixture.
- Add the spice powders and stock to the pot.
- Now let this cook, on a slow heat, for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken and let this simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Before serving, add the cilantro, lemon juice and cheese.
- This dish will serve 6 to 8 people.
You can also try recipe for glazed chicken
This dish can be served individually or can be served as a part of a bigger dish like nachos or with salad. You can also serve some bread with the chicken chili.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
In one serving of chicken chili, you will get about 230 calories, about 6 grams of fat and 39 milligrams of cholesterol.
If you serve this dish with bread or any other accompaniment, the nutritional profile will get affected.
- Cooking the chili with chicken makes it a light dish, good for people who are watching what they eat.
- Beans in the chili provide a lot of additional nutrition and flavor. Read more on nutritional benefits of chicken
Tips and Warnings
- Avoid using butter instead of oil as it will increase your consumption of saturated fats.
- You can add left over chicken chili to stir frys to increase the depth of flavor and not waste food at the same time. Using leftovers of roast chicken or chicken curries to make chicken chili is also a great tip.