Chicken Pot Pie Recipe, Nutritional Value
Chicken pot pie is a savory baked dish made with pastry dough and different spiced fillings. It is a pie with a flaky crust with a warm filling and baked to make a hearty meal. It is a very popular American dish, often made in individual size portions and frozen. It is considered an economical dish because a little chicken with vegetables and flour could feed many. This dish originated in Greece and Rome.
The ingredients are divided into ingredients to make the pastry flour and the filling.
You can also use readymade pastry flour. In that case, omit the ingredients for the flour.
For the pastry flour:
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup, cubed and chilled, unsalted butter
- ¼ cup shortening or lard
- 4 tablespoon ice water
For the filling:
- 1 chicken, about 3 to 4 pounds
- 3- 4 cups-various vegetables chopped, like carrots, celery, onion
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Fresh or dried herbs like parsley and thyme
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup sherry or red wine
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation time: About 3 hours
Directions & serving size:
- First cook the chicken in stock or water and let it cool. Once cooled, shred it and separate the flesh. In this step you can also use leftover of chicken. In that case, reduce the preparation time and list of ingredients.
- For the pie crust or the crusty top of the chicken pot pie, blend the flour and salt and slowly add the butter, pulsing as you go, in a food processor.
- Gently press the dough into a ball and refrigerate. Once chilled, it should be rolled out onto the bowl while baking.
- Now make the filling. Melt the butter. Add the vegetables. Add the flour, milk and stock. Let the vegetables cook and then add the stock, chicken and sherry. Add herbs and seasoning.
- Once the filling has cooled, add it to the vessel you want to bake it in. Cover it with the prepared pastry. Brush the top with butter and egg wash and bake it till it is golden brown.
You can also prepare recipe for chicken gumbo
This pot pie can be made in individual size portions making it simple to serve or even freeze.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- Each portion can contain up to 500 calories
- It is also high in sodium and saturated fat.
- The pastry has a lot of butter and fat in it.
- The dish also 13 grams of protein.
If this dish is made without the pastry, it can be a healthy dish. It has too much butter and fat in it to really be good for every day eating. More on nutritional benefits of chicken