Chili Pasta Recipe. Nutritional Value
Chili pasta is a simple dish made with pasta and chili. Chili is usually made in batches and you can freeze batches of them. Chili can make an excellent readymade sauce for your pasta, without the extra additives you find in readymade sauces. Chili has many different recipes.
Here is one kind. You can use any pasta you like, fresh or dried.
- 4 cups shredded chicken or minced beef
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 peppers – banana or bell – diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 16-ounce cans of beans, cannellini or pinto
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 2 red onions, chopped
- Pasta of your choice, about half a pound per person
- Shredded cheese of your choice
- Sour cream
- Salt to taste
Preparation time: 80 minutes
Directions & serving size:
- Cook or brown the meat after seasoning it.
- Once the meat is browned, remove it from the heat.
- To the same pot, add minced peppers.
- Add the chopped peppers, minced garlic, and onions. You could create a rough hewn salsa of the vegetables and peppers before cooking them.
- Cook these vegetables till they soften.
- Add the beans, without draining them to this vegetable mixture.
- Add the spice powders and stock to the pot.
- Now let this cook, on a slow heat, for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the cooked meat and let this simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Take it off the heat.
- Cook the pasta. You can choose any form of pasta but ziti or fettuccine is often suited best for chili.
- Serve the chili with pasta and garnish with cheese and sour cream.
- This dish will serve 6 to 8 people.
Also try this spinach pasta salad
Pile the al dente pasta on a plate and ladle the chilli on it. Add the garnish on top of this. Avoid mixing the pasta and the sauce as the pasta could disintegrate. Check out delicious recipe for pasta with ground meat
Nutritional value per serving
- There are roughly 520 calories in every serving.
- The cream in it can increase the calories.
- The total fat is about 10 grams, of which saturated fat is about 3 grams.
- It contains 46 milligrams of cholesterol and 595 milligrams of sodium.
- Adding garnishes of cheese and sour cream can bring down the health quotient of this dish.
- The beans and spices make it a hearty and wholesome meal, one that is easy to prepare.
Tips and warnings:
You can try different combination of meats, vegetables or just meat and sauce with the pasta for variations. A little salad can add flavour to the savoury dish of chilli pasta.