Crab Cake Recipe & Directions
Croquettes made out of mixed seafood or even crab cakes are known to be popular snacks in various parts of the world as they are relatively easy to make, extremely tasty and cheap. While preparing crab cakes you can use blue crabs or white crabmeat or even mix together white and brown crabmeat.
- Approximately 450 grams of any white crabmeat A cup of dry breadcrumbs
- One egg
- Half a cup of mayonnaise
- One teaspoon each of Worcestershire sauce and mustard
- Pepper and salt as per ones preference
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Directions & serving size:
- Check the crab meat being used thoroughly to ensure that there are no tiny pieces of cartilage or shell.
- Thereafter mix together the egg, bread crumbs, mustard, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- You can add some more milk, or mayonnaise or even another egg altogether if the mixture turns out to be too dry.
- Once the mixture is relatively easy to handle, prepare medium sized cakes using your hands. The quantity of the ingredients being used would amount to almost 6 medium size cakes.
- Place these cakes in a dish, cover them with foil and then place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. The refrigeration helps them retain their shape better while being fried.
- When you wish to serve the cakes, take them out from the refrigerator and fry them in a pan with a little butter or oil till they are golden brown.
Crab cakes taste best when they are served hot from the pan along with some fresh vegetables or salad and mashed potatoes.
Nutritional value per serving:
- Calories : 160 per cake
- Fat: 10.3gms
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Sodium : 491 mg
- Protein : 11.2g
Crab meat is known to be a good source of omega 3 fatty acids which play a key role in lowering the blood pressure levels and minimize the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Also see health benefits of crab
Crab meat is also rich in various minerals and vitamins that help in the manufacture of red blood cells, regulation of blood pressure and for overall good health.
Tips and warnings:
One of the tips for preparing fresh breadcrumbs for crab cakes is to take off the crusts from white bread slices and then allow them to get processed in a food processor for a few seconds.