Fish Chowder Recipe, Nutritional Value
Fish chowder recipe consists of a heavy stock in which the fish is poached along with a mixture of vegetables. You can also alter the quantity of the liquids in this recipe to prepare fish stew.
- 2 onions
- 3 each of potatoes, carrots and celery stalks
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- Salt and pepper as per ones preferences
- Half a pound of bacon
- One and half pounds of fresh clams, chopped
- Half a cup of fresh cream
Preparation time: 1 hour
Directions & serving size:
- This recipe will yield a pot roast sufficient for 10 servings.
- Finely mince and mix together the vegetables such as potatoes, celery and carrots as well as the onions.
- In a large pot sauté the bacon and along with the mixed minced vegetables. Keep cooking this mixture till the vegetables are well cooked.
- Sprinkle some flour on this mixture and continue stirring for another 5 minutes
- Add some water to this mixture which should be just enough to cover the vegetables completely.
- Allow the vegetable to simmer in this water and thereby form a stock which will be the base of the chowder.
- Just half an hour prior to serving the fish chowder add the clams and allow it to simmer for an 40 minutes.
- Add some pepper and salt as per your taste.
Serve the fish chowder along with some fresh bread or simply ladle it on freshly cooked rice to make a complete meal.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrate: 117g
- Protein: 23g
- Fish is known to be an excellent source of Omega 3 essential fatty acids which are required for the overall maintenance of good health, skin and hair. More on health benefits of fish
- Fish also helps in maintaining a healthy heart by lowering the blood pressure thereby minimizing the risk of heart attacks, strokes and sudden death.
- Fish is also known to help prevent arthritis from flaring up as well as minimize risk of arthritis.
- Fish is also a recommended food at the time of pregnancy as it helps in the brain and infant development as well as the development of nerves and vision in the baby during the pregnancy.
Tips and Warnings:
While preparing fish chowder you may also add halibut depending on the availability of this fish.