Winter Squash Recipe, Nutritional Value
Winter squash is available in various shapes such as elongated, scalloped, pear shaped and round with flesh that could be wither a light yellow to bright orange in color. Typically winter squashes tend to take slightly longer to mature as compared to a summer squash.
- One acorn squash cut into two halves
- 2 tablespoons each of firmly packed brown sugar and butter
- 2 teaspoons of hickory syrup, honey or even pure maple syrup
- Coarsely ground pepper and salt as per one’s preference
Preparation time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Directions & serving size:
Serving instructions: The winter squash should ideally be served hot straight from the oven.
- This recipe will yield a winter squash sufficient for 2 servings.
- Before preparing the squash, preheat the oven to 375F.
- While the oven is reaching the desired temperature cut the squash into two equal halves lengthwise from the stem right up to the end.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the stringy parts and the seeds that will be found in the center of both the squash halves.
- Once done, score the inside of each of the winter squashes with a relatively sharp knife.
- Then add just one tablespoon of butter and brown sugar each, and one teaspoon of honey.
- Add the pepper and salt into each half of the squash.
- Take a large baking pan and place both the halves of the squash into the pan. Add water in the pan up to ¼ inches so as to ensure that the skin of the squash does not burn and the squash also does not get completely burnt while baking.
- The squash should then be baked for approximately one hour till the flesh is soft and tender.
- Any sugary butter sauce that may have formed in the baking tray should then be spooned onto the squash.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Calories: 76
- Fat: 1g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Winter squash is an excellent source of vitamin A which is present in the form of beta carotene.
- Beta carotene helps in fighting off free radicals that result in cancer and vitamin A is also required by the body for good vision. Also see health benefits of beta carotene
Tips and warnings:
The winter squash can also be customised as per ones preferences by adding some ground cinnamon, raisins, chopped nuts or any herbs.