The thyroid gland secretes a hormone that helps activate the cells in your body and enables them to carry out their normal function. If the levels of this hormone are deficient it causes the cells to become sluggish with their regular functions. If your cells are not in their best form it can cause you a number of complications with your health. Your immune system may fail, your metabolism slows down and your blood circulation becomes sluggish. When your thyroid fails to secrete the required amount of thyroid hormone you begin to show signs of hypothyroidism – wherein you put on more weight, have an irritated disposition, are lethargic and so on.
A hypothyroidism diet can help you lose weight and reduce the symptoms.
Make sure that the following foods are a part of your hypothyroidism diet.
- Iodine-rich foods: Iodine is required for the production of thyroid hormone in your body. A hypothyroidism diet should always include food that is rich in iodine content such as bananas, parsley, saltwater fish, seaweed and sushi. Using iodized salt instead of plain rock salt while cooking is beneficial.
- Water: Ensure that you increase your intake of water. Drink at least eight glasses every day. Your body stores more fat when you are dehydrated and can make you gain more fat.
- Fiber: A high fiber diet can be extremely beneficial for those who have hypothyroidism. A high fiber diet will regularize your bowel movement and also bring down your cholesterol levels. Fiber also helps lessen your hunger levels and make you burn additional calories. Fruits and vegetables are generally high in fiber.
- Coconut oil: Consuming coconut oil helps stimulate the production of thyroid hormone. It increases your metabolism and helps boost your energy. This should however be consumed in moderate levels depending on your body structure and age.
- Green tea: Drink a cup of green tea everyday. It increases your metabolism and also helps in the oxidation of fat.
- Tyrosine-rich foods: Tyrosine helps in the production of thyroid hormone. This is found in fish, lentils, lean meats, fish and low-fat milk.
- Selenium-rich foods: Selenium is needed for the production of thyroid hormone. Increase your intake of foods such as brown rice, Brazil nuts, salmon and tuna
Weight gain is something you can expect if suffering from thyroid issues. If you have hypothyroidism, diet plans should be paid attention to and chosen carefully as they can help you avoid any further complications.
Hypothyroidism and Fatigue Weight Gain
Fatigue Weight Gain: I need help on Fatigue Weight Gain. Can some one please answer how does fatigue weight gain work?[...]
Weight Loss Diet | Foods To Lose Weight | Diet Chart For Weight Loss
Weight Loss Diet -Starting off with exercises is great to control superfluous weight. Keep off from high saturated fats and sugary products. Drink plenty of fluids.[...]
Sudden Weight Gain
Sudden Weight Gain: Someone please help me with sudden weight gain - what is sudden weight gain and how does it happen?[...]
Hypothyroid Treatment and After Treatment of Hypothyroidism
Alternative Treatment for Hypothyroid
Hypothyroidism refers to the reduction in the synthesis of the thyroid hormone. When not treated, hypothyroidism results in high cholesterol levels, which in turn causes hear attack. Hashimoto's thyroiditis is one of the common causes of hypothyroidism, wherein the immune system attacks the tissue, thereby[...]
Thyroid Supplements - Health Benefits and Side Effects
Thyroid SupplementsHypothyroidism is a very common problem, affecting thousands of people around the world. People who are suffering from this problem generally undergo treatment, since there are several uncomfortable symptoms associated with it, such as weight gain, fatigue, weakness, hair loss, cramps, muscle pain, depression, irritability, bouts of memory loss[...]
Nutrition And Diet For Thyroid And Diabetes Troubles
Diet For Hypothyroidism And Diabetes Nutrition
I am thyroid patient and my weight has increased considerably in last two years. Is it due to the medicines prescribed for control of diabetes or is there any other reason? Please recommend healthy diet
Thyroid disease is a result of inadequate hormone (thyroid[...]
Morning Giddiness | Dizziness And Giddiness | Giddiness Treatment
Giddiness Treatment - Dizziness and giddiness are symptoms of an underlying medical condition. Giddiness can be loosely defined as a feeling of light-headedness. An abnormal heart rhythm due to congenital reasons or age-related diseases may also cause gid[...]
Weight Gain and Thyroid
Thyroid Weight Gain: Can someone educate me on thyroid weight gain. I am suffering from thyroid issues.[...]
Obesity Leads to Health Risks
Overweight Health: Any reviews opinions on Overweight Health. Studying this for some time, please revert with any help?[...]
Weight Gain and Estrogen | Natural Bioidentical Progesterone to Increase Weight
Bioidentical progesterone cream induces weight loss. Estrogen is known to increase appetite and is responsible for the retention of body fat.[...]
1 | 2 |
More on hypothyroidism diet >>