Healthy Diet Plans >>
Foods that burn fat
Foods That Burn Fat
Sometimes exercise just isn't enough. To enhance your weight loss results you should add some foods that burn fat to your diet. Foods that burn fat are of many types. Foods that boost metabolism fall under this category. Some people believe that negative calorie foods, are foods that burn fat fast as they burn more calories than they contain.
So let's have a look at some natural fat burning foods.
Natural Fat Burning Foods
This list of natural fat burning foods is not exhaustive but should help in pointing you in the right direction.
- Apples- “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” That's what people say right?
Well here's news for you. An apple a day can also keep the extra pounds at bay. Apples contain a very high percentage of pectin, which is a soluble fiber. Pectin restricts the absorption of fat by the cells of the body, and also encourages the absorption of water from the food we eat which assists in breaking up fat deposits in the body.
- Citrus fruits- Vitamin C is known to dilute fat, which makes it easier to be flushed out of the system. And so foods that are rich in vitamin C are great fat burners. Limes, lemons, grapefruit, a papaya, sweet lime, tangerines and tomatoes are not only rich in vitamin C but also high in fiber.
- Garlic- Garlic contains the compound allicin which has antibacterial properties. It also helps in the reduction of cholesterol and getting rid of unhealthy fats.
- Broccoli- Many studies have linked calcium with weight-loss. Not only is broccoli high in calcium, but also loaded with vitamins C. The vitamin C itself helps in fat burning as well as boosting calcium absorption. It also has plenty of vitamin A, folate and fiber.
- Spicy food containing chilies, cayanne peppers or jalapenos are looked upon as foods that speed up metabolism. These contain a compound called capsaicin, which promotes the production of more stress hormones. This in turn can rev up the metabolic rate by up to 25% and burns more calories for almost 3 hours after the meal.
- Soy- It is a fantastic product. It contains chemicals, which are similar to pectin in Apples, and inhibit fat from being deposited in the body. And just like garlic it helps in breaking down fat deposits.
- Black tea, coffee and green tea come under the umbrella of foods that increase metabolism. Caffeine increases the heart rate and quickens the process of burning calories. EGCG in tea speeds up the nervous system, which eventually leads to an increase in metabolism.
- Fish, such as salmon and tuna, contains a significant amount of omega-3 essential fatty acids. If eaten regularly this alters the level of leptin in the body. Leptin is a hormone which influences the metabolic rate. The more leptin in the body, the quicker the body's metabolism.
- Lean meats such as turkey or chicken are among bodybuilder's favorite foods that burn fat. Both turkey and chicken are high in protein and low in fat. Study after study has shown that protein can help increase metabolism, lose body fat and stimulate the growth of lean muscle tissue so you can burn more calories.
- Low-fat dairy products such as skim milk, cheese and yogurt help by increasing the breakdown of fat in fat cells. They are also rich in calcium. Some research has shown that eating 2 to 3 servings of low-fat dairy products a day can be more effective at burning fat than over-the-counter calcium supplements.
Remember that eating foods that burn fat or increase metabolism, alone won't be enough. In order to guarantee effective weight-loss, you have to maintain a healthy lifestyle which includes regular exercise and a wholesome diet.
|Submitted on January 16, 2014