How Safe Are Detox Diets? Detox Diet Safety Issues And ConcernsA detox diet is a diet for the detoxification of the body. A number of toxins enter your body through food, water, and air. Also, free radicals formed as a by-product of various chemical reactions in the body are toxic for the body as they may initiate chain reactions in the body, leading to cancer. Hence, it is important to remove these toxins from your body.
The concept of a detox diet advocates the consumption of certain foods and the avoidance of others, in order to detoxify the body.
Features Of Detox Diet For Colon CleansingThe features of a detox diet are as follows:
Safety Concerns For Detox Diet
- A detox diet cleanses the colon and increases the circulation of blood in the body in order to eliminate various toxins from the body.
- The foods that must be included in a detox diet are fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, rice, beans, nuts like peanuts, walnuts, and cashew, seeds like flax-seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds, and extra virgin olive oil.
- The foods that must be avoided while you are on a detox diet include sugar, dairy products, wheat, gluten, coffee, cocoa, and yeast. Also, the consumption of alcohol and food additives and preservatives must be avoided in order to detoxify your body.
- A detox diet cleanses your body of toxins, which in turn gives you clearer skin, regular bowel movements, improved digestion, increased concentration, and also rejuvenates you.
- There is no scientific backup to support the effectiveness of detox diets. Also, there is speculation on the safety of detox diets.
Here are a few instances where detox diet can be unsafe:
- A number of supplements used during detox diets are laxatives which may cause dehydration, mineral and electrolytic imbalances, and also, problems with the digestive system.
- Detox diets may be addictive which may lead to serious health problems like eating disorders, cardiac ailments, and even death, in severe cases.
- A detox diet may have a negative impact on the health of teenagers. A detox diet involves restrictions on certain foods which may lead to health issues in teenagers, who need more calories and energy.
- A detox diet may aggravate the problems of diabetes, heart diseases, and other chronic health conditions.
- It is not proven that a detox diet really help you remove toxins and reduce weight. You may lose a few pounds while on a detox diet, but the larger part of the lost weight would be water and some muscle. Also, the effects of a detox diet are short term.
- As such, you should consult a doctor before taking up a detox diet to avert the side effects associated with it.