Strawberry Health Benefits And Nutritional FactsStrawberries are one of those luxurious fruits that find their way into some delectable desserts – strawberries and cream, strawberry shortcake, strawberries as dessert toppings. Ruby red and luscious, strawberries not only taste and look good; these are also great for your health. Research has shown that adding strawberries to your regular diet in the form of smoothies, shakes, salads and even munching them raw, is sure to have a healthy impact on you. Let’s look at some strawberry health benefits.
Health Benefits Of Strawberries
Research has shown that strawberries can combat strokes, heart attacks and Alzheimer's disease. Rich in potassium, the mineral can control the electrolytes in the body, which in turn reduces the risk of strokes and heart attacks. Folate helps to manufacture red blood cells and this can delay the onset of Alzheimer’s.
- Strawberries are very nutritious – packed with vitamin C, phytonutrients and antioxidants, strawberries are said to be good for combating free radicals that cause damage to the body. In fact, it’s these antioxidant properties that give it the bright ruby-red color.
- Strawberries are rich in vitamin K, vitamin B6, vitamin B5, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, copper, riboflavin, potassium, manganese and folic acid.
- The strawberry fruit is good for eye care, cardiac health, gout, arthritis, brain function and hypertension.
- Eye problems arise because of nutrient deficiency and free radicals. As a person ages, the free radicals cause damage to the eyes and degenerate the optical nerves, leading to macular degeneration.
Anti-oxidants like vitamin C, Elagic Acid, and Phenolic Phytochemicals in strawberries can prevent this damage. The potassium in strawberries can maintain ocular pressure too.
- Strawberries can prevent gout and arthritis. The antioxidants and detoxifiers in strawberries can flush out the toxins and help people suffering from these health problems.
- Flavonoids like Kaempferol, Quercetin, Anthocyanin, Folate and vitamin C can combat tumors and cancers and can reduce or prevent the growth of cancerous cells.
- Free radicals have a damaging affect on the nervous systems of elderly people. Their brain tissue begins to degenerate and their nerves become weaker. But the phytochemicals and vitamin in strawberries rejuvenate the senses and help in the proper functioning of the nervous system.
- The magnesium and potassium content in strawberries can reduce high blood pressure, which is caused by sodium.
- Rich in antioxidants, folate and fiber, strawberries are excellent for cardiac health and can work on cholesterol problems. The vitamin B in the fruit can also strengthen heart muscles.
- Packed with vitamin C, strawberries are good for fighting colds and infections. The phytonutrients in the fruit have anti-inflammatory properties.