Apart from being the most important meal of the day, breakfast is unfortunately also the meal that is most likely to be skipped. People do not eat breakfast for various reasons. Some may not feel hungry especially if they have eaten a large meal the previous night. Some also do not have the time to prepare breakfast. But we have to remind ourselves that our blood sugar levels are at their lowest point in the morning when we wake up.
Blood sugar or glucose gives us the energy and fuel required for proper functioning during the day. When we eat a proper breakfast, we are likely to feel less tired and are also able to concentrate better. Those who skip breakfast may suffer from reduced productivity, short attention span, fatigue and irritability. Taking time out to eat a healthy breakfast is the best way to ensure that our day goes well. Here are some helpful breakfast tips.
Tips For Breakfast
There are many quick and easy breakfast ideas that are beneficial for those who do not have too much time on hand in the mornings. One of the quickest breakfast meals is a bowl of cereal or toast. Remember to check the food labels on cereal boxes as many of them are loaded with sugar. Opt for cereals that have 5 grams or less of sugar in each serving. Those who do not feel hungry in the mornings should ensure that they finish their night’s meal early so that the body has time to rest after digestion. There are some who skip breakfast because they want to prevent weight gain. The interesting news is that breakfast can actually keep you feeling full for a longer period of time and hence helps you in maintaining healthy weight. Those who are not into the habit of eating breakfast should start small initially. Begin with a small meal consisting of just a slice of whole wheat toast. Fruits are one of the best breakfast foods since they provide fiber to the body. Eating 2 servings of fruit in the morning is a great way to begin the day. Opt for fresh seasonal fruits. Other healthy breakfast ideas include oatmeal which is rich in fiber and effective in lowering bad cholesterol levels. It is advisable to avoid oily and fried breakfast foods such as deep fried sausages or eggs.
Some healthy and easy breakfast ideas are as follows:
- Scrambled tofu - The health benefits of this dish can be far greater than scrambled eggs. You can also add some vegetables such as bell peppers and green onions. Throw in some black pepper, soy sauce and olive oil and you have a dish that is both healthy and delicious.
- Yogurt makes for an excellent addition to your breakfast. Opt for low-fat yogurt and add some chopped fresh berries and cereal. This is also one of the best breakfast ideas for kids.
- If you are looking for some high protein breakfast ideas, then a protein shake breakfast is an excellent choice. Use soy protein powder and blend with low fat milk, oatmeal and frozen blueberries. This will keep you feeling full and energetic until your next meal.
- Those who face a time crunch every morning and require some quick breakfast ideas will certainly benefit from a fresh fruit salad. Combine chopped berries, oranges, apples, bananas, pears, and melons. Add a dash of lemon juice or a teaspoon of honey and you have an ideal healthy breakfast. You can wash the fruits of your choice the night before so that you save time the next morning.
Foods For Weight Loss
Here are some low fat breakfast ideas that are especially beneficial for weight watchers. Fruit smoothies are low in fat and contain natural sugar. Combine half a cup of fruits of your choice, half a cup of skim milk, half a cup of low fat frozen yogurt and honey. Blend the ingredients together until smooth. A breakfast burrito is something that will satisfy your taste buds and keep your weight in check. Sautee some tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and mushrooms with low-fat cooking spray and add an egg substitute. Scramble it and then add some low fat cheese. Add the ingredients to a whole wheat tortilla. Another innovative breakfast idea is smoked salmon with a whole wheat bagel. Salmon is a healthy high-protein food and a whole wheat bagel is low in fat. You can also add some light cream cheese if you wish.
Foods For Kids
Kids can be especially fussy when it comes to breakfast. However it is important to inculcate healthy eating habits from childhood itself. Here are some good breakfast ideas that will appeal to kids.
- An omelet sandwich made with eggs, mushrooms and vegetables is a tasty breakfast meal. Instead of using slices of white bread, use whole grain pita which is low in fat and high in fiber and protein. To make it even more delicious top each serving some grated cheese.
- You can make a muffin pizza with an English muffin, some low fat chopped ham, scrambled eggs, mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce. Slice the muffin in half and add the ham, eggs, cheese and sauce. Toast it for a couple of minutes and then serve. Increase the health quotient of the meal by adding a side of chopped fruits as well.
- Another breakfast meal which is likely to get your kids’ approval is grilled bulls-eye. To make this, spread butter on a bread slice and cut out a large circle in the middle. Place the slice on a hot griddle and place an egg in the center. Keep in on until the egg is cooked on both sides. You can also add scrambled eggs to the center. Serve this along with fresh fruit juice.
There is no dearth of new and interesting breakfast menu ideas today. You can find them in cookbooks, websites, television shows and magazines. Just by following a few healthy breakfast tips and with some amount of commitment, you can improve both your health and productivity.