Appetite suppressants work by affecting the areas of hunger control in the brain. But it is to be noted that hunger is not the only reason why people eat. A number of psychological reasons are also likely causes for excess weight. Natural appetite suppressants are effective in controlling hunger without any side effects, but such appetite suppressants must be consumed only under the guidance of a medical expert. Apart from hunger that drives eating, culture, emotions and a sluggish metabolism are some of the major causes of eating disorders.
In order to control the hunger and suppress excessive eating desire to control weight, people often resort to appetite suppressants. Although appetite suppressants are easily available in the market some of the best known suppressants are found in nature.
Weight Loss Challenge With Appetite Suppresants
We tend to consume less food if our appetite is suppressed. Our caloric intake is reduced by consumption of less food and we can control our weight.
- Chromium – It prevents sugar craving by controlling and maintaining a stable blood sugar level. And so unnecessary calories are not added to our diet.
- Garcinia – It is bitter melon fruit that contains high levels of hydroxycitric acid (HCA). It helps in reducing appetite and it slows down the formation of fat in the body.
- Glucomannan – It is a fiber that is capable of absorbing up to 50 times its own weight in water. I t provides bulk to the stomach, if taken before meals. But when you take this supplement drink lots of water.
- Griffonia bean – It contains high levels of 5-hydroxytryptophan that helps regulate appetite, mood and sleep. It can be used as a weight loss supplement without any dietary restrictions. But seek medical help before using it.
- Gymnema – It is an ayurvedic herb that blocks the sweet taste of sugar. It even blocks the absorption of some carbohydrates in the intestine, and thus helps it to slow the glycomic response
It is important to take any form of appetite suppressants for weight loss only under the guidance of a physician or medical expert. Some chemical appetite suppressants available over the counter cause a number of side effects in the form of psychological dependence as they possess amphetamine-like constituents. Some other side effects include chronic sleeplessness, sleepiness, uncontrolled anger or depression. The best way to lose weight is to adopt a vegetarian diet or raw food diet in addition to natural appetite suppressants such as hoodia or green tea as weight loss supplements. Appetite suppressants that are natural help in curbing the most prominent challenge of weight loss: restricting the appetite. Once the appetite is controlled, overeating can be prevented and weight loss becomes much easier.
There are three options to choose when selecting forms of natural appetite suppressants or herbal appetite suppressants: weight loss supplements, diet foods, or a combination of both diet and supplements. Weight loss supplements are certainly more favorable and handy but they can prove to be quite expensive. Diet foods on the other hand are the choice of most people opting for weight loss as they are inexpensive and offer numerous nutritional benefits that are not all available in a weight loss supplement.
Natural Appetite Suppressants for Weight Loss
Here are some natural appetite suppressants that are effective if taken under medical guidance:
- Hoodia Gordonii - is known to be a powerful natural appetite suppressant and has been in use for a number of years by the Bushmen of South Africa. Weight loss supplements or suppressants containing Hoodia is usually taken before meals to suppress over eating.
- Whey Protein - Dieters often use whey protein as a natural appetite suppressant. Whey protein helps in muscle growth.
- Water is one the best known and least expensive option of all natural appetite suppressants. Drinking a good amount of water all day long helps in curbing one's appetite. Some dieters drink at least an eight ounce glass of water before every meal in order to control the portion and size of foods during meals.
- Leafy Vegetables - Vegetables such as lettuce, spinach, cabbage, and bok choy are wonderful natural appetite suppressants. These vegetables are unusually low in calories and make for an excellent form of fiber.