15 Short-Term weight management tips
Weight management is one of the greatest concerns of every individual, irrespective of whether they are obese or not. Diet, workout and lifestyle modifications help a lot in health weight management.
- Healthy weight management does not involve crash diets, which is one of the wrong ways to lose weight. Calorie reduction helps in weight loss and maintenance.
- Choice of right foods is important.
Decrease the intake of saturated fats. Fried foods are a complete no-no, which means, its good-bye to potato chips, French fries, crisps and so on.
- Weight gain might also be due to certain conditions, such as thyroid malfunctioning, polycystic ovarian syndrome and so on. Identify the cause and treat the same.
- Opt for high fiber foods such as fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains, cereals and so on.
- Increase your regular three meal pattern to six meal pattern. This reduces the quantity per meal, thereby suppressing the appetite. Intermediary snacks before lunch and dinner help.
- A nutritious breakfast with cereals, milk and fruit is highly beneficial. It decreases the appetite by the end of the day, thereby preventing binge eating or nibbling on junk foods.
- Avoid skipping meals. Feasting or fasting is not of any help in a weight management program.
- Read the labels of every product that you pick from the market shelf. This cuts down your unwanted calories and unwanted fat.
- Skimmed milk and low fat dairy products are more nutritious and healthier than whole milk and whole fat dairy foods.
- Junk foods such pizzas, burgers, French fries are not preferred, especially with fizzy drinks, as the latter contributes to 'empty calories'. No great contribution to any nutrient is seen to occur with the intake of carbonated beverages.
- Do not hit the bed in the afternoon for a noon nap. Leave at least two hours gap after supper, before retiring to bed.
- Check out certain healthy methods of cooking such as steaming, boiling, grilling, micro waving and pressure cooking. These ensure healthy foods with no or minimal oil use. Deep fat frying is not recommended, as it increases the oil intake to a great extent.
- Weight loss management also requires regular exercise, as a part of the daily schedule. Exercise in the form of walking, swimming and jogging prove beneficial. Daily exercise session of forty five minutes, about five times a week is helpful. Take a light and brisk walk after your noon meal.
- Opt for the stairs, instead of the elevator or the escalator. Walk to all the nearby areas for shopping, rather than driving down.
- Use non stick cookware, as it helps in reducing the amount of oil usage. Oil sprays are also a good alternative.
- Drink lots of water
- Consume lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Keep a count of calories by measuring serving portions.
- Be all-time ready for exercising, because it makes you feel good, motivates you and helps you to lose weight.
- Make necessary changes in your lifestyle with somebody’s aide and keep a track of your weight with your partner.
- Measure arms, stomach and other important areas and try to change your body’s composition by setting goals.
- Set a goal, and keep a track of your progress/ weight loss by weighing yourself once a week.