Berry Juice Health Benefits
A berry is a fleshy fruit. There are many kinds of berries, edible and non-edible. Popular examples are blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries, to name a few. Berries have a high level of antioxidants and are good for health. They are also abundant in minerals and vitamins needed by the body for healthy functioning.
Drinking berry juice is a pleasing way to provide our body with nourishment.
Let us take a look at a few of the berry juice health benefits:
- Berries have high levels of antioxidants. This helps to not only detoxify and cleanse the body but also fight against free radicals that are the cause of cancer.
- Diabetes is a medical condition where the body cannot produce enough insulin in order to convert glucose into energy. Goji berries grown in China are traditionally known to help stabilizing blood sugar levels. Regular intake of strawberries has also been proved to harmonize blood sugar levels.
- Berry juice is beneficial for people with gout, which is a form of arthritis. Various kinds of berry juice such as black cherry juice and blackberry juice can help to ease gout symptoms. Black cherry juice is known to reduce uric acid levels in the body. Blackberry has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce pain associated with gout.
- Of the various berries, the acai berry that is grown in South America is known for its weight loss properties. It has a high level of antioxidants and promoters that help to increase metabolism. However, research is yet to prove this attribute.
- Cranberry juice is a type of berry juice that is useful in eliminating bad breath. It helps to reduce bacteria in the mouth that cause decay and also odor. More on health benefits of cranberry juice
- There has been differing opinions on the effect of berry juice on kidney stones. Cranberry juice can help reduce certain kidney stones but are not good for other kinds. Research has shown that cranberry juice can actually raise the likelihood of recurrence with the most common stones formed by calcium. However, it can help to prevent a rare type of kidney stone called Brushite. It is best to consult your doctor of the suitability of berry juice and the amount to be consumed before trying it out.
- Goji berry can help to improve eyesight. It has been used traditionally by Chinese healers and is also being validated by modern research.
- Blueberry and cranberry juice can help to eliminate urinary infections as they inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria within the bladder.
- Hawthorn berry is an edible berry that also has many health benefits. Research has shown that drinking hawthorn berry juice can reduce the chances of heart trouble. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is also known to help with healing stomach ulcers.
Berry Juice Nutrition
Berry juice contains health benefits and is popular choice for weight loss programs. Though it differs according to type, nutrition facts of berry juice indicate a high level of antioxidants that help to cleanse our system of impurities. Nutrients in berry juice also vary slightly according to the type of berry. Strawberries and raspberries contain vitamin C, which helps build a strong immune system as well as regulate blood pressure. Blackberries, cranberries and raspberries are rich in anthocyanins that help to fight against free radicals and prevent life-threatening diseases like cancer. Goji berry found and grown in China contains certain elements that help to reduce cholesterol. This has been verified by research. Acai juice is made from a berry native to Brazil. It is has substantial quantities of vitamin C and B12. The latter helps to maintain a robust nervous system.
Side Effects Of Berry Juice
Nutrition specialists have long been divided over the side effects of berry juice. It is no doubt a tasty addition to our diets but it also has a dark side.
- Consuming large quantities of juice exposes our bodies to high sugar levels that are naturally contained in fruit. Juice eliminates the nutritious fiber of the fruit leaving behind mostly sugar.
- Too much of acai berry juice can leave one with a stomach upset.
- Certain berry juices should be avoided at all costs by those who are allergic.
- Berry juice can also interfere with the working of certain drugs, for example, Goji berry juice. Goji juice also contains certain toxins and can interfere with the body’s ability to clot blood. It is essential to consult your physician on the suitability as well as the recommended quantity of any berry juice.
- Certain specialists recommend that pregnant or breast feeding women should avoid Elderberry juice. However, there is insufficient research to prove the same.
- Not all berries are edible and one should take care and check thoroughly before consuming them. Fresh berry juice needs to be consumed quickly. Storing it makes it vulnerable to bacteria and also drains the nutrient levels.