Melon Juice Health Benefits, Nutrition
Melons belong to the Cucurbitaceae family and are enjoyed by both adults as well as children. The well-known varieties of melons include watermelon, muskmelon, honeydew melon, and bitter melon. Melon juice is not only a great thirst quencher, it also helps ease inflammations and other symptoms caused by a variety of diseases such as diabetes, asthma, arthritis, colon cancer, and atherosclerosis. Melon juice contains a number of vital antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that are essential for the proper functioning of the human body. Some of the important melon juice health benefits are as follows:
- Regular intake of melon juice lowers the risk of heart diseases and various types of cancer.
- Melon juice is good for achieving healthy weight loss. It contains vital nutrients and is low in calories, thereby making it a great option for weight watchers. It also acts as a good appetite suppressant.
- It has a cooling effect and helps reduce body heat, thereby preventing various related diseases and disorders.
- The lycopene found in melon juice is very effective in reducing inflammation caused in conditions like arthritis, osteoarthritis, and rheumatism.
- Melon juice is beneficial to people suffering from asthma as its nutrients reduce airway spasms that are quite common in asthma sufferers.
- Regular consumption of melon juice reduces the risk of developing colon, prostrate, lung, breast, colorectal, and endometrial cancers.
- It is very effective in boosting overall immunity and providing energy for performing day-to-day activities.
Melon Juice And Health Problems
As mentioned earlier, melon juice has a wide array of health benefits and helps prevent and treat problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney problems, heat stroke, heart disease, digestive disorders, impotency, and macular degeneration. Some of the benefits of melon juice for specific diseases are as under:
- Diabetes: Diabetes patients often complain of starvation because of their low sugar and low energy diet. Melon juice is therefore a good supplement for such patients. Experts strongly recommend bitter melon juice for patients of diabetes as it helps in lowering blood sugar levels. It contains vital minerals and amino acids like magnesium, potassium, and arginine that help regulate insulin production in the body.
- Diarrhea: Although most melons may increase the risk of diarrhea in some people, experts recommend bitter melon juice to treat diarrhea in many cases. In such cases melon juice can be mixed with lemon juice and spring onion juice to cure diarrhea. However, high doses of bitter melon juice can increase diarrhea and therefore it is best to consume it in prescribed quantities.
- Skin: Melon juice is well known for maintaining good skin health. Regular consumption of melon juice is an excellent remedy to prevent as well as treat acne problems. It contains powerful antioxidants that help detoxify the body and purify the blood, thereby making it a good treatment for various skin disorders. One can easily treat skin blemishes with melon juice, internally as well as externally.
Melon Juice Nutrition
A 100 ml glass of fresh melon juice contains approximately 30 calories, where 89% of the calories come from carbohydrates, 7% from proteins, and 4% from fats. Some more of the interesting melon juice nutrition facts are as follows:
While studying about the nutritional facts of melon juice, it is also important to shed light on some of the vital nutrients in melon juice. Some of the important vitamins in melon juice are vitamin A, B6, C, D and folate. Similarly, some of the main minerals found in melon juice include:
- Melon juice has a cleansing, diuretic, mineralizing, and alkalinizing effect on the body and is very effective in eliminating harmful toxins from the body.
- It is easily digestible and helps maintain an acid-alkaline balance in our body.
- Melon juice is an extremely rich source of antioxidants like lycopene, lutein, beta-carotene, neurosporene phytoene, and phytofluene.
- These antioxidants not only help protect against a number of diseases and disorders, they also boost stamina and metabolism.
- The vital antioxidants also help neutralize the harmful free radicals found in the body.
- Melon juice contains no cholesterol and helps prevent the build up of cholesterol in the arteries and other blood vessels. Furthermore, melon juice increases the good cholesterol in the body and lowers the risk of cardiovascular disorders.
- Melon juice is beneficial in preventing and treating constipation, fluid retention, and itchiness because of acid toxicity in the body.
In addition to these nutrients in melon juice, there are also a few amino acids found in trace amounts such as:
- Aspartic acid
- Glutamic acid