Low Calorie Meals
Obesity has become one of the leading concerns in the present ties, as it affects men, women and children of all ages. This problem can lead to several health conditions in people, some of which include diabetes, cardiovascular problems, high blood pressure and the increased risk of strokes, to name a few. Studies indicate that obesity is directly or indirectly responsible for around 320,000 deaths a year, within the United States alone. Therefore, fortunately, people are becoming more aware of the dangers that could be faced by being overweight. This is probably what has prompted people to make dietary and lifestyle changes that can help them reach their normal weight range as quickly as possible.
It is a well-known fact that everything you eat will have an effect on your body in one way or the other. Hence, by eating foods high in calories, carbs, fat and protein too, people could increase their risks of obesity. In today’s world of health and fitness, most people are trying to ditch heavy, fattening and calorie-laden foods and are replacing them with fairly lighter and low calorie meals. Most people lead a very hectic life nowadays, because of a demanding job as well as performing various household chores. This is probably why many women and men neither find the time, nor the inclination to prepare meals that are regarded as being healthy. Hence, instant food, junk food and takeaway dinners have become a regular feature of our daily lives. However, it is not necessary that we do not have an alternative. There are several good low calorie healthy meals which are quite simple and easily be prepared. People claim that some of the simple low calorie meals are quite tasty and are excellent for overall improvement of health.
In fact, eating low calorie meals also in no way means that you have to eat the same types of foods all the time. This is the main reason that fad diets do not yield permanent or long term results. They usually restrict the types of foods that a weight watcher can eat, which is why they cannot be followed for more than a week or two at the most. Hence, after following a fad diet, if you resume your normal eating habits, in which foods of all types are included, it is only natural that you will regain all the weight you lost, and then perhaps some more too. Fortunately, there are several recipes for easy low calorie meals that you can execute at home, without too much of ado. Given below are a few simple recipes for low calorie meals that fill you up.
Low Calorie Meals Recipe
There are several recipes for quick low calorie meals, one of which includes:
Honey & Soy Broiled Salmon:
- 1 Pound salmon fillets, skinned
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce (reduced sodium variety)
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Scallion, minced
- 1 Teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 Teaspoon ginger, minced
- In a medium bowl, whisk the soy sauce, honey, vinegar and ginger, till the honey is dissolved completely.
- In a sealable plastic bag, place the salmon pieces and add 3 tablespoons of the mixture too it. Place the bag in a refrigerator, for at least 15 to 20 minutes and keep the remaining sauce aside
- Take a small baking pan and line it with some foil paper, as well as cooking spray. Place the salmon pieces on to the pan and broil them for about 10 minutes or so.
- Before serving, drizzle the remaining sauce over the salmon pieces
Calories per serving: 234
There are several recipes for healthy low calorie meals, one of which includes:
Garden Pasta Salad:
- 6 Ounces of whole wheat pasta (around 2 cups)
- 1 Cup grated carrot
- 1 Cup bell pepper (red or yellow), diced
- 1 Cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ Cup pitted olives, chopped
- ½ Cup scallions, chopped
- 1/3 Cup of unflavored yogurt
- 1/3 Cup of low fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 Cup fresh basil, slivered
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- Salt & fresh pepper to taste
- Water, to boil the pasta
- Take a large pot and bring the water to boil in it, adding a bit of salt. Cook the pasta, until it is tender, which should take around 10 minutes or so. Drain the pasta and place it under cold running water for a few minutes
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper, till they form a smooth dressing
- Add the pasta to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Put in all the chopped up vegetables and toss some more, until all the ingredients are well coated
- Serve cold.
Calories per serving: 205
You could add more ingredients, to suit your palate, such as grilled chicken or turkey, tofu, tuna fish, and so on.
There are several recipes on low calorie meals for two, such as:
Stuffed Pork Sandwiches:
- 2 Boneless pork chops, weighing 4 ounces each, ½ inch thick and trimmed
- 2 Whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted lightly
- 2 Leaves of romaine lettuce
- 2 Slices of tomato
- 2 dill pickle slices
- 1 Slice of thin Swiss cheese, halved
- 1 Teaspoon mustard
- 1 ½ Teaspoon of Canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the pork chops into half horizontally, without cutting it all the way; stop short of the opposite side. Place these opened pork chops, between the sheets of plastic wrap and pound them with a rolling pin or a meat mallet, till they are evenly flattened to a thickness of around 1/8 inch.
- On one side of the flattened top, place one half piece of cheese and a slice of the pickle and fold the chop with the other side. Press the edges firmly, to seal the ingredients within.
- Season both the sides of the stuffed pork chop with some salt and pepper
- In a skillet, heat the oil and place the stuffed pork chops in it. Cook both the sides, preferably over a low flame, for around 3 to 5 minutes, or until the pork turns golden brown.
- Spread some mustard on the hamburger buns and pork chop in between, with tomato slices and lettuce.
Calories per serving: 330
The ingredients in this recipe can be halved in case you want to prepare low calorie meals for one.
Most of the low calorie meals recipes mentioned above are fairly safe, if they are followed correctly. However, some to the low fat low calorie meals recipes may not be ideal for people who are elderly or those who are suffering from any preexisting medical condition. In fact, before trying out even what is believed to be the best low calorie meals, it is best to check with a doctor.