Top Ten Diet Cheats For Diabetes
A diabetic diet always is usually associated with sugar-free or boring food. It is not necessary that if you are suffering from diabetes, you need to follow a boring and restrictive lifestyle. A simple modification and small tweaks to your lifestyle can help you enjoy your life and also control your sugar levels properly.
The moment you are diagnosed with diabetes, your doctor will immediately ask you to pay attention to your diet and make sure that you stay away from sugar or sweet food.
There is no one diet prescribed for diabetics; however, here are a few guidelines that you can follow and keep your sugar levels under control:
- You can eat sweets once in a while. If you feel like eating a dessert, you can share it among your friends and relatives so that you do not end up gulping the whole thing down.
Eat small portions. This will not only satisfy your sweet tooth but also make sure that you do not end up with shooting sugar levels.
- Sweets add to the carbohydrates. So if you are eating a sweet, you can balance it by cutting down on other food items that are high in carbohydrates like bread, tortillas, crackers, or rice.
- While eating a sweet, savor each bite so that you consume less. If you eat fast, you end up eating more than you are supposed to.
- Make healthy substitutions. For example instead of soda, go for sparkling water. Instead of opting for an ice-cream, grab a bowl of frozen fruits or go for your favorite cheese instead of the cake, or a piece of fruit instead of a pie.
- If you feel like eating rice, choose brown rice instead of white rice.
- Go for steel-cut oats instead of processed cereals or instant oatmeal
- Balance your meals with all food groups and make sure that vegetables form the major part of the meal. Eating your carbohydrates with protein or little fat will help you control the sugar levels.
- Choose sweet potatoes instead of eating white potatoes as they are low in carbohydrates
- Choose a bran muffin instead of eating a pastry or croissant.
- Instead of eating red meat take more servings of fish
- If you are baking, use canola oil or apple juice instead of butter or shortening.
- For making your soups creamy try other methods like adding a little cornstarch instead of loading it with cream.
By cheating your brain a little bit, you can satisfy your bodily needs and ensure that you are in perfect health.