Healthy Diet Plans >>
Food Log >>
Dairy Food Items - List Of Dairy Products As A Staple Nutritious DietDairy has been at the center of a major debate for the last couple of years. Long considered to be a staple of a nutritious diet, in the recent years, milk and other dairy products have come in for a lot of flak due to their high fat content. Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of consuming milk and dairy products.
Pros Of Consuming Dairy Foods: Health Benefits Of Dairy Products
- Dairy products contain a high amount of complete amino acids.These amino acids are essential in the growth and repair of muscle tissue.
- Dairy products also help the body absorb more calcium. This leads to stronger bones.
- The antibacterial properties of dairy foods work at a cellular level to promote good health.
- Consuming dairy products can help to lower blood pressure.
- Dairy foods also have a beneficial effect on the nervous system.
- Consuming dairy products can help to boost your body’s immunity.
- Cons of consuming dairy foods
- Whole milk and dairy products have high levels of fat.
- Dairy products can cause a number of allergies in people who are lactose intolerant.
- The consumption of cow’s milk can also hinder the body’s ability to absorb iron, especially in infants.
- Consuming dairy products can also lead to digestive ailments, including colic in infants.
- The debate rages on.
At one end there are dairy advocates that point out all the benefits of milk and dairy products, and at the other end of the spectrum are people who point out that dairy leads to a number of diseases, and advocate a vegan diet. So, should you include dairy in your diet?
- Well, if you are lactose intolerant or a vegan, then including diary foods in your diet is definitely out of the question. For the rest of the populace, given the present depth of medical knowledge, the benefits of consuming dairy foods far outweigh the disadvantages.
- In fact, the best way to ensure that you receive all the benefits of consuming dairy foods, while minimizing the disadvantages, is to consume low-fat dairy products. Opt for low fat or skim milk, low fat cheese, cottage cheese, low fat yoghurt, and so on. In this way, you can avoid ingesting too many calories, yet ensure that you stay healthy and fit.
- In fact, a recent study carried out in Denmark also shows that when you consume a higher level of calcium in your diet, such as from dairy foods, your body fat levels will be lesser. This is because higher levels of calcium in your diet actually force your body to excrete more fat through the feces. So what are you waiting for? Go and get your low-fat milk mustache today.
|Submitted on January 16, 2014