Angostura Health Benefits
Angostura is commonly referred to a tonic known as angostura bitters. Angostura bitters, used today in beverages and as a flavoring agent, was used for the longest time as a tonic.
When you look at the information & facts of angostura, you will also realize that angostura bitters do not contain any part of plant Angostura which is a South American plant. The bark of the Angostura plant is poisonous and is not used in these bitters. Angostura bitters are an essence of different herbs including ingredients like bitter orange rind, quinine, gentian root, and cassia.
Angostura bitters were created in Venezuela by one Dr Siegert to remedy stomach maladies. Most of the herbs used in these bitters are generally herbs that are used in home remedies.
Using their concentrated essence ensures that using a little can help quickly. The exact recipe of angostura bitters is still unknown, but today there are many manufacturers out of South America who manufacture this flavoring.
Angostura For Stomach Problem
- The health benefits of angostura are many especially because it is a combination of so many herbs.
- Angostura bitters work very well on any problem related to the stomach and digestive tract. A few drops of bitters in a some water or just plain can immediately get rid of flatulence, gas, digestion and an upset stomach.
- Angostura bitters are known to be the remedy for debilitating stomach pain. If your stomach pain persists beyond a few days with only temporary relief, you should seek a doctor’s help.
- Bitters are also used as a home remedy for diarrhea and hiccups.
- The angostura bitters can also be used to stimulate the liver and the gall bladder to make them work more efficiently.
- These bitters are also used to lower fever and relax muscle spasms.
- The herbs present in the bitters and the bitters as well, are used in home remedies for dysentery, intermittent fever and edema.
- The quinine content in bitters prevents the recurrence of malaria.
Side Effects Of Angostura
- It can have dire effects on health if had in large doses.
- The angosutura bitters can act as an emetic and laxative, if had in large doses.
- Pregnant and breast feeding mothers should keep away from bitters as its contraindications and adverse reactions are not known.