Acne is a common skin condition that most people find embarrassing if not painful. While certain causes of acne may be beyond your control, you can combat the problem to some extent by avoiding foods that aggravate your acne. Following an acne diet plan can help you to some extent. Here are some acne diet tips that you can keep in mind while planning an acne diet plan.
- Have five servings of orange/red/yellow colored fruits and vegetables daily.
- Add low-fat yogurt to your daily diet.
- If possible, completely avoid or restrict your alcohol intake.
- Add de-skinned chicken and fish to your acne diet plan.
Eliminate red meat completely if possible.
- Eat plenty of root vegetables, whole grains, beans and lentils. Also make sure you include some sprouted seeds and soya in your meals.
- Try and move over to organic foods.
- Cut down your tea and coffee intake.
- While preparing your acne diet recipes try and avoid the omega-6 fats contained in vegetable oils such as corn oil and cottonseed oil.
- You can opt for any of the anti-acne diet plans such as the “hormonal acne diet plan”, the “cystic acne diet plan”, or the “acne diet breakfast plan”. However, make sure to consult your doctor or a dietician before beginning any specific diet.
- In addition to following an acne diet treatment, options such as systemic and topical medicines should be tried after checking with your dermatologist.
Acne Foods to Avoid, Eat
If you are suffering from acne, foods to avoid include the following:
- It is best that you stay away from products made from peanuts.
- Fried foods also figure on the list of acne foods to avoid.
- Limiting your salt intake (iodized) is a good idea as studies indicate that many people suffering from acne have increased iodine levels in their blood during acne break-outs. Acne foods to avoid include lunch meats, chips, salted popcorn, and canned foods because they are high in their salt content.
- Dairy products such as cheese, milk and ice cream should also be avoided.
- Avoid carbohydrates such as candy, sodas, and baked goods as these are bad acne foods. Food that is high in carbohydrates increases the insulin levels in the blood and these elevated insulin levels may in turn increase the acne-causing hormones in your body. Fatty foods and sugary foods increase your stress levels and thereby serve to worsen your acne.
- Foods with trans fats and saturated fats can cause oily skin and can aggravate your break-out. It is best that you avoid meat and poultry as they are high in saturated fat.
- Some of the best acne foods to eat are those high in fiber. Make sure that you consume 25 to 30 grams of fiber daily. Fiber helps keep your colon clean and may also help flush toxins out of your body before they get to your skin. A low fat diet consists of foods that are good for acne. Foods such as low fat milk and milk products, lean meat, egg whites, tofu, and soy should be included in your diet.
- If you are suffering from acne, foods to eat include unprocessed whole organic raw foods mainly consisting of sprouts, fruits and vegetables. Make sure you consume foods that are high in omega-3 fats such as evening primrose oil, flaxseed, sardines, salmon, and mackerel. Increase your intake of beta-carotene, B6, E, C, zinc and niacin either by eating the right foods or in the form of supplements. It is also important that you increase your daily intake of water as this helps hydrate your skin. Skin that is well-hydrated is healthy and glows.
Acne Fruits, Juice
For those suffering from acne, fruits and vegetables are extremely beneficial. Let us have a look at some of the fruits that help acne.
- Apples are extremely good for the health of your skin and help alleviate acne.
- Apricots are an excellent source of the B-complex vitamins, vitamin A, and fiber and are good for acne treatment.
- Bananas indirectly feature on the list of fruits that help acne. They help combat constipation, which is one of the main causes of acne.
- Lemons are good for your skin as well. A freshly squeezed lemon in warm water drunk first thing in the morning can work wonders for your skin.
- Some other fruits that help acne are cherries, cantaloupes, figs, grapefruits and grapes. Colorful fruits such as papayas, mangoes, and passion fruit contain high content of vitamin A, which is extremely good at fighting acne.
- Are there any fruits that cause acne is a question often asked by those suffering from acne. The answer is yes. Foods that have high levels of acid are likely to cause acne. This is because they tend to cause an imbalance in the pH levels in your body. Fruits that cause acne and should be avoided are plums, prunes, blueberries, cranberries, and currants. The vegetables that may cause acne include corn, lentils and squash.
For acne, juice therapy also helps. Here are some acne juice recipes that will help you deal with your acne problem. Take about quarter honey melon and a bunch of watercress and juice both together. Drink this juice twice a day. In between make sure you drink plenty of water. The juice of a medium-sized carrot combined with some spinach is also good for acne afflicted skin. Easy to make among the acne juice recipes is cucumber juice. Cucumber juice helps to cool and calm your skin. The acne diet seems to cure acne; however, there may be individual differences. To sum up, if you have acne, fruits and vegetables are extremely beneficial for your skin as they provide you with essential nutrients that keep your skin clear and healthy. In addition to eating fruits that help acne, you can also make sure you take care of your skin and wash it with a soap that caters to acne prone skin twice a day. If you do need to use make-up make sure you use a water-based products. Also, keep in mind that you do not pick or squeeze the acne or blackheads on your face. Consult a dermatologist for diet and medication advice.