Neuritis can be described as a serious medical condition, which is characterized by inflammation in the nerve or by an inflamed portion within the nervous system. This condition can be of two types, peripheral neuritis and optic neuritis. The main cause of this inflammation is the excess of acid in the blood and other bodily fluids. Hence, unhealthy diet and lifestyle habits can contribute towards neuritis. Other factors that could lead to this condition include injuries, trauma, stress and exhaustion, to name a few.
May people use medication to treat the condition, but most drugs only bring amount temporary relief. The most effective way of treating the condition is by following a neuritis diet on a long term basis. Several health care providers also advise people to go in for neuritis diet treatment.
Since there are a few severe side effects that have been associated with neuritis medication, most people avoid using them to treat the problem. Instead, doctors advise people to increase the consumption of certain foods, which can help reduce the inflammation, thereby speeding up the recovery process. A healthy neuritis diet lays special emphasis on certain food items, like:
Apart from consuming these neuritis food items on a regular basis, there are several other home remedies that can also be very helpful in the treatment of this condition. Given below are some of the other remedies that can treat neuritis:
- Whole grains, especially brown rice and whole wheat,
- Seeds, like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and primarily those seeds that are sprouted
- Raw milk, (preferably in the soured form) and homemade cottage cheese
- Fresh fruits like pineapples, apples and citrus fruits
- Vegetables that have been steamed, like carrots, beet and spinach
- Juice that has be prepared at home, from fresh fruits, vegetables or a combination of both.
- Soy products, especially soymilk
There are several neuritis recipes easily available through the internet and other resources. However, it is best to consult a doctor for more information on neuritis nutrition. Moreover, it is absolutely essential to consult a doctor before switching over to a neuritis diet or any other diet for that matter.
- Organic soymilk, mixed with one tablespoon of honey. This strengthens and tones the nervous system, as soymilk is high in glutamic acid, Vitamin B and lecithin
- Mixing 10 ounces of raw carrot juice, with 7 ounces of raw spinach juice. This mixture should be consumed every day
- Taking an Epson salt bath at least three times in a week for 30 minutes at a time, to relax the stressed nerves.