Individuals on a weight loss diet have to eat small portions every two hours. Mealtimes are easy to tackle with great ideas for diet breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Snack time for weight watchers can prove a hassle with most store bought snacks being high in fats and calorific content. A lightweight and easy to make popcorn snack can be a quick addition to your diet menu.
However, not all kinds of popcorn can pass off as diet snack. Excess oil, butter or salt in regular popcorn will derail your diet.
Flavored or caramel popcorn snack recipes do not count as well.
So, let us consider why is popcorn a good snack and how you can make it even better.
• A popcorn snack is easy to make and full of dietary fiber. Made from corn kernels and whole grain, a single serving can contribute to your recommended dietary fiber allowance per day.
• Due to its high fiber content, a popcorn snack will keep you full and satisfied for longer.
• Whole grains are nutritionally superior to refined grains. This makes a popcorn snack a rich source of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
• The antioxidants found in green tea, chocolates, and popcorn snacks can fight cell damage and heart diseases.
• A regular popcorn snack can also improve gastrointestinal function and aid better digestion.
• Individuals suffering from diabetes and obesity will find the popcorn snack a healthy alterative to snacks that may be high in sugar or fat content.
How you pop the corn is almost as important as the snack itself. Some studies reveal that the Teflon lining in microwave popcorn bags may not be good for you. If that is a cause of concern, you can always purchase an air popper, which will do the job just as effectively.
While butter imparts flavor it is high in calories. Substitute it with extra virgin olive oil for a healthier popcorn snack recipe. Drizzle olive oil and a pinch of sea salt on already popped popcorn snack for flavor. You may also try a combination of dry herb powders (oregano, paprika, Provence de herbs) or your favorite spices for added flavor. Add a handful of dried nuts like almonds, walnuts and pecans to your popcorn snack for some delicious goodness.
You can include popcorn snacks to other snack time favorites such as fruit salads, healthy soups, toasted oat cereals, low calorie granola bars and so on to complete a diet menu which will keep you satisfied at snack time.