Low Calorie Lunch Ideas
Lunch can be a challenging meal. If you are at work, sometimes, the easiest option is to grab something from the nearest fast food joint. However, that is not the healthiest option, nor is it the cheapest. If you are looking to lose some weight, here are some low calorie lunch ideas for work and play.
If you’re on the go, it is important that your lunch is easy to eat and carry, with a minimum of fuss or mess.
In such a situation, sandwiches, burgers, and rolls are usually the most convenient option. Instead of biting into a quarter pound of beef in a bun, how about exploring healthier options when it comes to fast food? The best way to ensure that you eat a low calorie lunch is to prepare it yourself. Vegetarian sandwiches and wraps are great options for a low calorie lunches. If you want some meat, opt for healthy low fat meats such as turkey or chicken breast, salmon, or tuna. Do not overdose on the meat slices that you put in, and at all costs avoid condiments such as mayonnaise, butter, and Thousand Island dressings, which are invariably loaded with calories.
Healthy Low Calorie Lunch Ideas
If you have to eat out, here are some healthy low calorie lunch ideas that you can use. Salads can be a tasty and healthy low calorie lunch option. Make sure that you opt for low fat dressings such as vinaigrette or soya sauce and skip the mayonnaise and coleslaw. Once again, if you prefer some meat in your salad, opt for healthy meat choices. Soups and broths are very filling, and since the contents are mostly liquid, they are very low in calories. Vegetarian pastas are another great option. Many restaurants and takeaways offer special low calorie lunches. If you are dining at home there are many healthy low calorie lunch ideas that you can choose from. Once again, low fat salads are a tasty and healthy option for a low calorie lunch. If you want to be a little more exotic, you can experiment with different cuisines that offer delicious low calorie vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. Generally speaking, a vegetarian meal will impart fewer calories as opposed to one that is loaded with meat. Look out for delicious low calorie lunch ideas from Greek, Indian, and Mexican cuisines. It just takes a little bit of effort to research and come up with healthy low fat, low calorie lunch ideas for you and your family.
Everything you eat can and probably will have an impact on your health sooner or later. Therefore, it is important for you to ensure that you follow healthy eating habits right from the beginning. Fortunately, it is never too late to make the right dietary and lifestyle changes, to improve your overall health and well being. Start with a healthy breakfast, which is nutritious and wholesome, yet easy to prepare. The prefect breakfast should consist of some fruit, cereal and dairy. Eggs, lean meat and vegetables can also be added to a healthy breakfast menu. Since breakfast gets the body’s metabolism going and provides the body with the energy required to perform daily functions, it should be the heaviest meal of the day. Eating a filling breakfast will also keep you full for a major part of the day, thereby allowing you to eat a healthy low calorie lunch. Of course, raw vegetables are a great way to enhance low calorie meals.
It is rare to see people prepare low calorie lunches for themselves, due to the morning rush to get to work or school. However, you could use several healthy low calorie lunch ideas to prepare your meal within a few minutes. There are several cookbooks as well as online resources that are full of low calorie lunch ideas and recipes. Given below are examples of a few low calorie lunch recipes, which can be prepared for working adults as well as school children:
Zucchini and Cauliflower Bake:
- Preparation: 15 minutes
- Cooking: 30 minutes
- Total time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Calories per serving: 95 cal
- 1 Pound Zucchini, washed and cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- ½ Cup cauliflower florets
- 8 Slices low fat cheese
- 1 Pound plum tomatoes, washed and cut into thin slices
- 1 Cup bread crumbs
- ¼ Cup pesto sauce
- ¼ Teaspoon black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Place the zucchini slices in a baking dish and steam them in a microwave oven, for about six to seven minutes. Alternately, they can also be steamed over a stovetop, for six minutes or so. In order to remove the excess water from the zucchini, the slices should be placed on paper towels
- Steam the cauliflower florets for three or four minutes in a microwave, or on the stovetop, for three minutes or so.
- In a bowl, place the cauliflower and the zucchini. Add the pesto sauce, salt and the pepper before tossing all the ingredients together.
- Take an 8-inch wide baking dish and sprinkle a fine layer of breadcrumbs, at the bottom. Spread one half of the zucchini and cauliflower, over the bread crumbs.
- Arrange half the tomato slices over the vegetables and then top them with 4 slices of cheese.
- Repeat the process, by spreading another layer of breadcrumbs, zucchini and cauliflowers, tomatoes, cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Put the dish in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees F, and allow it to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it turns golden brown.
- Cut the bake into 8 slices allow them to cool for a while, before packing them in a box.
Turkey Breast Diane Recipe:
- Preparation: 5 minutes
- Cooking: 15 minutes
- Total time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 149 cal
- 8 Ounces turkey breast, skinless, boneless
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (low sodium)
- 4 Tablespoons margarine
- Salt to taste
- Sprinkle the lemon pepper seasoning on both sides of the turkey pieces
- Place a large skillet over a medium flame and melt some margarine into it. Place the seasoned turkey on the skillet and allow it to cook for 5 minutes or so, on each side, till it gets brown.
- In a bowl, add the lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and salt; combine these ingredients well and pour the mixture over the turkey cutlets in the skillet. Allow the turkey to cook, till it soaks up the mixture. Sprinkle the parsley over the cooked turkey
- Let the turkey cool for a few minutes, before serving it or packing it for lunch
There are several similar low calorie lunch ideas for work and school that are easily available through various resources. It is best to consult a doctor, before adding any low calorie foods to a regular diet.