Pork Sandwich Recipe, Nutritional Value
Pork sandwiches make for a delicious snack, but they can also double up as a meal. It is known to be filling as well as nutritious. A pork sandwich is ideal to be consumed in the winter as it is warm and spicy.
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- One large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- One bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon each of tomato paste and Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons of Chipotle chile powder
- 3 lbs of pork butt shoulder roast with any excess fat trimmed
- Salt to taste
- Hamburger buns
Preparation time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Directions & serving size:
- This recipe will yield a pot roast sufficient for 6 - 8 servings
- Prepare a puree using all the ingredients except for the pork, bay leaf and buns using a blender till a smooth mixture is formed
- Add this puree along with the pork and bay leaf to a large pot along with a quart of water.
- Cover the pot with a lid and allow this mixture to boil and simmer on a medium flame, turning the pork constantly so that it is evenly cooked.
- The pork should take almost two hours till it can be easily pulled using a fork , which is an indication that it is ready.
- Take the pork out of the heat and allow it to cool in the sauce.
- Shred the pork into small pieces and keep it aside
- Thereafter heat the sauce again till it is reduced by two thirds.
- Once the sauce is ready, add the shredded pork and mix it well with the sauce along with some salt as per one’s preference.
You can also try recipe for cider pork stew or prepare low calorie grilled pork chops
Take off the bay leaf from the mixture of the pork and the sauce and then serve it hot in fresh hamburger buns.
Nutritional Value Per Serving
- Calories: 200
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Pork is known to be a good source of proteins as well as B vitamins such as thiamin, niacin, riboflavin and Vitamin B 6
- Pork is also rich in minerals such as potassium, magnesium and zinc
Tips and warnings:
If you have time on hand, you could also marinate the pork overnight in the sauce for added flavor.